Matcha and Kueh Lapis are both my favourite, so I decided to bake a dessert which consists the best of both worlds! 🙂 It was a tedious baking session but baking with my sister was all fun, joy and laughter. We patiently grill one layer by another, the results were amazing and definitely worth the effort.
200g butter, softened
200g cream cheese, softened
120g caster sugar
5 tbsp condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
14 egg yolks
180g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
7g matcha powder
7 egg whites
1/2 tsp lemon juice
120g caster sugar
70g butter, melted for brush the baking paper and the sides of the baking pan.
1. Beat butter and cream cheese together until well combined and soft.
2. Add 120g caster sugar and beat until pale, light and fluffy. Add condensed milk and vanilla essence. Beat until well combined.
3. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in till just combined. Set aside.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg white and lemon juice/cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
6. Add 120g caster sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
7. Fold the meringue into the main batter until no more streaks of egg white are visible.
8. Take 300g of the batter and whisk in the matcha powder.
9. Line a baking pan (around 8×8 inch per side) with baking paper. Brush the paper and the sides of the pan well with melted butter.
10. Pour in 70g of the normal (main) batter and grill at 200 degrees Celsius for 6-7 minutes, until very slightly brown.
11. Press down any air pockets using a toothpick which have formed. Then brush melted butter over the surface.
12. Repeat step 10 and 11 until you have 3 normal layers.
12. Grill a layer of matcha batter for 6-7 minutes.
13. Grill 2 more matcha layers, remember to brush melted butter over the surface after each bake.
14. Now, time to grill 3 normal layers.
15. Grill 3 matcha layers.
16. Grill 3 normal layers.
17. Grill 3 matcha layers and for the last layer use the normal (main) batter.
18. For the last layer, grill for 5 minutes, then lower the oven heat to 160 degrees and bake it for another 10 minutes. By now, all the batter should be used up.
19. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing and slicing.
2o. Chill it in the refrigerator overnight, best eaten the next day. It is more soft, moist and yummy!
TA-DAHHH!!! Time to indulge in some delectable Matcha Kueh Lapis!
Hope you enjoyed! <3
With lots of love,