We love using prawns in our recipes and especially for Chinese New Year, this is a must-try dish to make at home for your reunion dinner. Prawns in itself have so much flavour – it’s unique sweetness gives you the option to mix it with a variety of sauces for a pleasant and savoury taste that will keep you wanting for more.
Interestingly, prawns when pronounced in Cantonese is “har” – which echoes the sound of ringing laughter. Tradition has it that the more you eat prawns, you and your family will be filled with happiness and lots of laughter “har har”!
Steamed Garlic Prawns
- 10 Tiger Prawns
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1:1 ratio Cornstarch Solution
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 2 stalks Spring Onions
- Devein and slice the prawns all the way through, but leave the tail at the end.
- Peel and shred the sweet potato, and plate it on a steaming tray.
- Pour the garlic mixture over the prawns.
- Steam on high heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with green onions. Serve and enjoy!