Have plans for the weekend yet? With so many events happening this October, come fill up your itinerary with our weekend guide – including meeting Pikachu, tasting vintage sake, earn massive savings at a LIVE group buy event and more happening around town this weekend!
1. Meet Pikachu at the ‘Autumn in the Train’ event by Japan Rail Café!
Credit: Japan Rail Cafe
In celebration of “The Railway Day” (Tetsudou-no-hi) in Japan on 14th October – the 150,000 sq ft Urban Park at Tanjong Pagar Centre will be transformed to host a train-themed event “Autumn in the Train”. Happening from 11 to 14 October, come sit back and tuck into a selection of Japanese food and beverages while enjoying melodious tunes by local musicians. Indulge in a host of Japanese cuisine and vendors including Samurice, Teppei Shokudo, Fumen Japanese Udon, Hattendo Singapore, Chef Yamashita and more! The event is organised by Japan Rail Cafe, a travel-themed cafe under railway operator East Japan Railway Company. Other highlights include a JCC Cinema (Japanese movie/anime screening), a Pikachu Meet & Greet, Jazz performances, and DJ music.
Autumn in the Train
Address: Tanjong Pagar Centre, 1 Wallich Street Level 1, Urban Park Singapore 078881 (Map)
Date: 11 to 14 October 2018
Time: 11am – 10pm
2. Takashimaya 25th Anniversary Japan Food Matsuri
Calling all sake-fanatics, come indulge in this rich element of the Japanese culture at the Takashimaya 25th Anniversary Japan Food Matsuri! Happening from now till 14 October, enjoy a delectable range of quality sake at the IPPIN sake bar. Take your pick from a vast selection of sake, including a 25-year old aged sake – Dai Ginjyo 25 year aged 1993, from Hashimoto Sake Brewery, one of the major brewers of sake. The sake has a mellow aroma and ripened umami taste. Retailing at $627 per bottle, it’s truly a homage to the 50 years brewing techniques of the sake maker Ryohei Mae.
From left to right: Junmai Dai Ginjo Satono Homare Black Muroka Nama (Sudo Honke Sake Brewery), 25-year aged Daruma Masumune (Showa Shoji) and Dai Ginjyo 25-year aged 1993 (Hashimoto Sake Brewery)
Also, don’t miss out to try the candied river shrimps ($5) and walnut & baby sardine ($6) at the IPPIN snack counter! A popular Japanese snack that is commonly enjoyed with sake, it is surprisingly addictive with its authentic taste and mild sweetness that is unique, yet luxurious as well. Makes for a great alternative to the tired old chips. Other Japanese food to look out for at the IPPIN booth include their freshly made Maki/mosaic sushi rolls, bara chirashi, grilled kurama shrimp and boiled octopus! #IPPINBrandAmbassador
Takashimaya 25th Anniversary Japan Food Matsuri
Address: Takashimaya Square basement 2, 391 Orchard Rd, Singapore 238872 (Map)
Date: Now till 14 October 2018
Time: 11am – 9:30pm
3. Blissful Outdoor Wedding Show (BOWS) 2018
From 12 to 14 October 2018, head down to Tan Quee Lan Street for Blissful Outdoor Wedding Show (BOWS), the largest outdoor wedding showcase. Featuring over 60 wedding merchants including venues, hotels, bridal designs and more, BOWS is back for its 17th showcase offering couples the convenience of shopping for their wedding in one location. With activities such as voting for their favourite gown, attractive prizes to be won for couples who make purchases, irresistible door gifts, and even seminars on property, financial planning, and pre-marital preparation, it promises to be an enjoyable, enriching, and memorable experience for all visitors and soon-to-be newly-weds!
4. Singapore’s First-ever Harvey Norman ‘LIVE’ Group Buy
Credit: Harvey Norman
Calling all home owners, here’s your chance to enjoy massive savings! Harvey Norman, the electronics, computers, furniture and bedding retail chain will be organising their very first-ever ‘LIVE’ group buy shopping experience! Happening from 13 and 14 October at the flagship superstore at Millenia Walk, get the best deals together and save more on your purchases. Get your entire family and friends involved to multiply your savings!
Harvey Norman ‘LIVE’ Group Buy
Address: Harvey Norman Millenia Walk Flagship Superstore, 9 Raffles Boulevard #01-59 to 63, Millenia Walk, 039596
Date: 13 & 14 October 2018
Time: 10:30am – 9:00pm
[20 & 21 October 2018]
5. FestivalForGood 2018
Mark your calendars! Happening on 20th and 21st October, FestivalForGood (FFG) 2018 is back offering bigger and bolder shopping activities at their Pop-up market! Helmed by the Singapore Centre for Social Enterprise (raiSE SG), be #partofthegood while showing your support for companies doing business for the good of the community. Shop from more than 90 local and regional social enterprises at this two-day pop-up market, showcasing their products and services across Fashion, Lifestyle, Home and living, Wellness and Food & Beverage.
Some highlights include:
- Crossings Café – a smart casual dining concept committed to providing young culinary graduates with learning difficulties and youths with special needs, a platform to harness their skills in the hospitality trade.
- Oh My Goodness – makes gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free food accessible and affordable to the masses, while providing employment opportunities to the disadvantaged community (ex-offenders, persons with special needs) in production, packaging and delivery.
- AMGD – a healthy bento subscription business that aims to create employment opportunities for disadvantaged and marginalised groups (former inmates and senior workers above 45 years of age) from Jamiyah House, allowing them to hold positions in their kitchen, delivery service and headquarters.
With lots of love,
An Affair With Food
Latest posts by An Affair With Food (see all)
- Things To Do This Weekend In Singapore [13 – 14 October 2018] - October 12, 2018
- SEPTEMBER’S AFFAIR WITH FOOD [HOT NEW EATS 2018] - October 1, 2018
- 5 Awesome Things To Check Out At The Great Food Festival 2018 At RWS - September 29, 2018